Monday 21 December 2009

Exclusive interview with Neil Danns

I recently caught up with influential Palace midfielder Neil Danns who spoke about his return from injuries, his love of music and why Victor Moses can be one of the best.

Who is your all time hero?

One of my all time heroes is John Barnes, because growing up as a young black boy John Barnes was one of the few men of colour at Liverpool, who i supported as a kid so he sort of inspired to be a footballer as a kid

What was your perception of the club before you signed, and has that changed since you’ve been here?

My perception of the club was good as I knew it had spent some time in the Premiership and produced alot of good talent such as Routledge, Fitz Hall etc, and I think everyone in the game knows who Simon Jordan is , so to be honest before I came I had good views on Palace.

After you arrived at Selhurst Park you were plagued by injuries for a long time. Did this make it difficult to settle into the dressing room and the area as a whole?

Yes I found it difficult to settle at first because of my injuries, because I wasn’t able to bond with the players on the pitch and training ground because I was injured so I felt a bit embarrassed that I had got a bad injury so soon after I signed so kept myself to myself.

You seem to have put your injury problems behind you now and your performances have been inspirational, are the Palace fans seeing the best of you now?

Yeah I think they are starting to see the best of me, I am always looking to improve though so there is still more to come and i would like to have a few more goals this year but I’m confident they will come

What do you make of the Palace fans?

I think the palace fans have been brilliant for me personally because i can understand some were frustrated with my injury at first, but they haven’t held it against me and have been brilliant with me since I’ve been back playing so I have nothing but positive comments for them on a personal note.

Who do you most admire in the Palace squad and why?

In terms of talent probably Victor Moses because the boy is seriously gifted and he can go as far as he wants if he works hard enough.

What effect have the off-field financial problems made to the spirit in the dressing room? Has there been much discussion over it on the training ground?

To be honest we can’t effect what happens off the pitch so we just stay focused on what we can affect and that’s on the pitch, course we chat now and again but that’s just human, anyone in any job would do so if there employers were constantly in the papers for financial reasons.

Has it brought the group closer?

We are a close knit group and any negatives always bring us closer so that’s how we turn negatives into positives in those situations.

You played under David Gold at Birmingham, how does he compare to
Simon Jordan, in the way he runs the club?


To be honest you don’t really see much of what goes on in the running of the club and behind the scenes, we just see the football side of things so I couldn’t comment

The side this season seems to have a lot of potential to do good things, what would be a realistic expectation for this season?

I think realistically we could be outsiders for the playoffs, and considering, if we achieved this we will have surprised a few.

What do you make of the “everybody Danns now” song that fans sing for you? Would you like it to be played after you score like they used to with the old announcer?
I love any song that is sung for me, that chant is good because it gets people bouncing so I like it alot ha ha.

Will you get to spend much time with your family at home over Christmas or does football kind of overtake it?

Football overtakes the holidays but I’m lucky enough to have my kids and partner with me up here so that’s good but I wont get to see the rest of my family and friends until after Christmas, we will be training on Christmas day

Coming from a musical family was football or music your first love?

Music was at first I was an avid Michael Jackson fan as a kid I could do all the moves, but once I started playing football on the playground that was it football took over.

What have your musical influences been?

My influences in music came from my mum and dad, I grew up in a house where music was always playing, in the house or the car, so I was hooked from early on.

What is your favourite album?

My favourite album is probably the black and white album by Michael Jackson, it has some classics on there, and that was when I was fully into Michael Jackson as a kid, certain songs on that album remind me of certain times in my childhood, good memories ha ha.

First ever record bought?

First record ever bought think it was Gloria Estafan ha ha don’t ask me why, my dad liked her so, I was a sheep and followed I think I was only about 7 or something lol.

Did working on your music help you through your injuries?

Music has always been something that helps me relax, so yeah you could probably say it did get me thru some of my dark times during my injury definitely.

Do you see music as your career route after your football career?

I see it as one of many routes I want to take, I am very ambitious and want to achieve many things in life as you only live once but I will give music a right good go along with other media and business ventures

Visit Neil at http://dannzy.com/ and you can follow him on his official twitter